For one of our clients in Düsseldorf we’re looking for a freelance Consultant GHG-emissions:
Developing automated exchange of sustainability data in the value chain of the automotive industry (LCA and Product Carbon Footprint)
As an important supplier to the automotive industry the client participates in the Catena X Automotive Network project. The project relates to the creation of an automotive industry data infrastructure using the EU funded Gaia X platform. Focus areas include sustainability, traceability, demand and capacity management. The sustainability workstream has the objective to create a common tool to define and measure CO2 impact from vehicle production, use and disposal. Two deliverables are defined to that end: a standardized CO2 calculation model and a linked data chain for making the CO2 footprint transparent. Those will be used to steer towards reduced environmental impact from the vehicle life cycle. The workstream is organized in three work packages ‘Regulations for CO2 calculation’, ;Dealing with SMEs’, and ‘Analysis & derivation of goals’.
Examples of current discussions are
- Evaluating various options for account of GHG-emissions for electricity
- Cut-off criteria: when are negligible GHG-emissions so low that they can be neglected
- update-intervals – what is needed by customers vs what is possible for suppliers / what are relevant changes
- Accounting for recycled content of plastics: how to deal with filler materials?
- How to account for chemical recycling?
- Simplified GHG-emission calculation method for smaller companies– achieving a level playing field / comparability of GHG emission data
- Identification of top materials in a vehicle (in view of need for primary data)
- Identification of materials which may not be amenable to the standard process
Background of the engagement of an external expert is that he has appropriate and required skills and capabilities in the areas of life cycle assessment and in GHG emission reporting. A person with that combination of capabilities is currently not available internally.
The scope of services includes the following tasks, which are independently performed by the external contractor:
- Representing the client in the aforementioned project taking into consideration the GRI Scope 3 GHG emission reporting standards and the concepts laid out by the World Business Council on Sustainable Development (Value Chain Carbon Transparency Pathfinder), and the Science Based Target initiative, as an External contractor on behalf of the client.
- Participate in project relevant workshops of the work stream
- Execution of the assignments coming forth of the aforementioned work stream meetings.
- Professional consulting on assignments of the work stream
- Preparing concepts/documentations for the assignments accordingly, that will be validated and approved by the client.
- Handover of the project status, open topics and history of the project to the client
: June 2021
English and German