For one of our German-based clients we’re looking for a freelance IT Security Consultant – PKI (f/m):
The project is requested from IT Security (Identity Services) - Corporate IT Architecture & Optimization to phase out the user related PKI services within the next 2 years and to deliver in 2021 multiple improvements to increase the user experience for the overall PKI landscape. Therefore the client would like to automate our servers and team certificates in the future in order to reduce the manual effort and costs. This includes application, deployment, renewal, revocation and termination. The certificate automation is only one part of a bigger project that started in April 2021. The goal of the project that will be delivered is a proposal with different options so that the client can decide on a future implementation for the objective of how we can automate the server/team certificate requesting/deployment/prolongation/revocation and termination. Environment specification: All servers within the client that are using digital certificates. Priority 1 are Server certificates, and priority 2 are team certificates.
- Creation of a proof of concept (POC), explaining of what needs to be done and how it needs to be done for the implementation mentioned above and will include:
*List of which key technical software components are required for an implementation;
*How do these components work together & shall be configured on a high-level;
*Definition of the architectural setup;
*Different options with positive and negative impacts and how this can be implemented;
*Recommended Key Milestones and steps for a implementation from a process point of view;
*Analyze the existing server/cloud landscape and understand our overall server setup/landscapes. provides the project relevant documentation;
*Present the POC to in form of a documentation for a sign off for further validation and evaluation.
- Creation of a requirements list for automating server certificates (requesting, issuing, deployment, revocation) based on the analysis described before. Presentation of the requirements list to for a sign off.
- Investigation into different solution scenarios that fit to those requirements based on the two steps before
- Creation of a concept with different options with positive and negative impacts in regards to financial & technical effects for the solution and how this can be implemented. Presentation of the investigation results with the different positive and negative effects in terms of financial & technical impacts for the client, including a recommendation for the implementation and rollout to for a sign off.
- Setup of the proof of concept (mentioned above) for automating web server certificates in Cloud-Test environment, including self-testing to affiliate a demonstration. Present the demonstration to in the form of a documentation for a sign off.
- Creation of documentation for a handover to the client, which contains all summarized results from the analysis and investigation, so that can follow up on future activities.
- Strong background in IT security
- Expert-knowledge of PKI solutions and architectures
- Good understanding of cloud and server architectures (Azure, Apache, IIS, etc.)
- English – fluent; German – nice to have;