For one of our Düsseldorf-based clients we’re looking for a freelance Azure Subject Matter Expert (f/m):
Hosting and Cloud Technologies (HaCT) Infrastructure Team provide operational and project support to approx. 1,000 Windows and Linux virtual machines (VMs) in Azure. The VMs are provisioned in full lifecycle from Development through to Production and isolated by Azure subscriptions. Infrastructure requests for applications are reviewed by the Architects and implemented by the Infrastructure Team. Microsoft Azure Public Cloud is the strategic platform for the client, and plan is to reduce and decommission non-Azure on-premise environments.
Must have skills:
- Control the following Operations via ServiceNow: Incident Management, Change Management, Problem Management, Service Requests, Troubleshooting and Root Cause Analysis (RCA). The requests are received by the client application teams and service owners.
**Incident - event that could lead to loss of, or disruption to, an organization's operations, services or functions
**Change - standardized methods and procedures are used for efficient and prompt handling of all changes to control IT infrastructure in order to minimize the number and impact of any related incidents upon service
**Problem - a cause or potential cause of one or more incidents
**Service Requests - request from a user or a user's authorized representative that initiates a service action
**Troubleshooting - problem solving technical issues
**RCA – finding the underlying technical issue and resolving that to prevent recurrence.
- Perform IaaS Patching for Azure Windows VMs in order to maintain stability and security compliance. Windows VMs are patched on a regular monthly cycle.
- Follow Standard setup on Azure VMs - backup, disk encryption, DNS Alias, disk management. Windows VMs are created to follow best practices in a structured and repeatable format. The standards and guidelines are located in Wiki and will be provided as part of the onboarding process.
- Resize VMs so that the infrastructure is right-sized for application performance and cost requirements in the light of cost savings. If the VMs size is under-utilised then the VMs size can be reduced. The requirements to increase the size arise when the VMs reach capacity issues (RAM, CPU, storage).
- Migration of servers from on-premise (Virtual Private Cloud) to Azure. The Infrastructure team receives requirements from the architecture team and provision the VMs in Azure. This is in preparation for the migration. The application teams then perform the migration.
- Optimisation and automation of the existing infrastructure-related tasks with scripting and leading-edge features from Azure in order to make optimal use of Azure cost-effectively. Microsoft announces new features in Azure on a frequent basis. The Infrastructure team evaluates and identifies where relevant features can be applied to the infrastructure.
- Investigate and analyse Azure features from Proof-of-Concept (PoC) to deployment in Production. This includes an analysis of the features, conducting tests in PoC, documenting the results for a review by the Lead and implementing it once approved
- Provide backup and recovery services for Azure IaaS as part of the provisioning process in Azure.
- Implement new service-related changes to existing VMs. The changes depend on the requirement of the service owner. Usually there are 2 changes per quarter. New implementations will be signed off by the relevant client service owner.
- Monitor Azure VMs and perform proactive analysis to mitigate risks. Alerts will be triggered when thresholds are reached. Implement mitigating actions (storage, reboot) as-&-when required.
- Perform Proof-of-Concepts (PoCs) for new Services based on the client requirement in order to make optimal use of Azure cost-effectively. Microsoft announces new features in Azure on a frequent basis. The Infrastructure team evaluates and identifies where relevant features can be applied to the infrastructure in a PoC in an ongoing flow of requirements.
- Perform Software installation on Azure VMs, when required. When a VM is initially created, the Infrastructure team configures software on exceptional circumstances. The Application teams install the software on the VMs accordingly.
- Update and maintain documentation on the scope of work. Internal documentation is stored within a Wiki where all Infrastructure team members have access.
- Provide process improvements in existing services, which are offered by the HaCT Infrastructure team following a certain process. Review these processes and improve them as needed and based on previous insights.
Nice to have:
- Microsoft Azure experience including on-premise to Azure migrations
- Ability Restart/bounce the Azure components/clusters/VMs
- Troubleshoot the issue in terms of VM connecting, firewall, disk space issues, backup etc.
- Good understanding with the Windows Fileshare cluster setup and troubleshooting
- Knowledge about Active Directory, OU’s and DNS entries creation/modification
- Understanding the monitoring resources and log analytics provided by Azure
- Manage storage accounts. This will include securing data from unauthorized access, configuring long term back etc.
- Good understanding with recovery vault services and backup policies.
- Hands-on experience of system administration of Windows server-side infrastructure, virtual machines
- Excellent communication skills
- Good customer orientation skills and good experience of working along with customer teams -Problem solving & interpersonal skills
- Basic understanding of Azure Infra & network, ITIL (incident management),
- AKS Knowledge – Deploying/Managing AKS -VMSS Scaleset -Scripting
- Shell, PowerShell
- Theoretical knowledge about Group Policy Management
- Patching experience with WSUS and patch management tool
- Experience with WVD (windows virtual desktop)